Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Observations and New Job

What I have discovered about the area I am living in:
1. Maine is so different based on where you are in the state. Just like South Florida differs from North Florida; Costal Maine is completely different from Inland Maine. On the coast there are cute New England houses and lots of touristy shops; everyone knows how to sail and there are tons of beautiful sailboats in the harbor. As you move futher inland the scene changes. It becomes more "country." Instead of touristy shops and sailboats you see large forests of evergreens, corn fields, quaint country homes, and lots of broken lawn mowers and old cars in the front yard. :)

2. The sun is up forever! It does not set till after 8pm and then it starts to rise at 4:40 in the morning. If you look it up on-line, Goggle will tell you the sunrises at 5:18am, but they LIE. The first day I slept here I woke up at 4:45am to the birds singing outside my window and the sun peeking... no not peeking... blazing through my sheer curtains in my bedroom. It's ridiculous! I am going to have to change my whole body clock and stop staying up so late.

3. The bustling town of Newport, where I am living, is home to a grand total of about 3000 people. It is right on the Sebasticook Lake. This lake is within a 2 minute walk from my cottage. It is peaceful and quite in the morning, but in the evening there are quite a few boats cruising around on it. My cottage has a little garden in front of it with cucumbers, tomatoes, and herbs growing. I don't know how successful I will be at keeping all these things alive...

4. I have not seen a moose yet, but I was told there is no way I can live here for three months without having a couple sightings. I will let you know when that happens.

New Job:
My job consists of seeing 4-6 patients twice a day in a skilled nursing facility. The facility itself is not the most state of the art which forces me to use a lot of "creative" treatment strategies. But being flexible and being able to work with whatever comes your way is what makes a good PT, so I hope I can excel at it. I have not met many other people my age here, but everyone I have met is really nice and I have already received some good tips as far as things to do around the area.

No comments:

Post a Comment