Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Learning Experience

Today was not the best day as far as site seeing goes. My first stop was in Delaware to see the Old Swedes Church which lays claim to being the oldest church in the US still being actively used as a church. Well, as it turns out the church is in a really rough neighborhood! I did not even get out of my car when I got there and there was no way I could even get a good picture of the church.
Then, I was on my way to Philly. It was not a pretty ride... the whole area is very industrial and there were tons of huge trucks on the road. Once I arrived in Philly I drove around the historic downtown area looking for parking. The historic buildings were beautiful and I could see the liberty bell as I passed by. I wanted to park and get to see the liberty bell close up, but when I checked out the garages in the city they would not allow me to park my car due to my bike on the back. (Supposedly, it was a hazard to other cars.) Eventually, I found an open air lot, but when they told me they were full I gave up. I know...lame...but after driving around for at least 45 mins I was just done. I think I would like to go back someday and get to see everything with a tour group where they plan it all and bring you in on a bus so you get front door service. That's the way to go!
After leaving Philly I headed north toward New York. The scenery did not begin to look better till I was headed out onto Long Island. The rest of Pennsylvania, New Jersey and coming into New York were nothing to get excited about. I did, however, stop for gas in Jersey and they had full service with attendents who pumped the gas for me. I thought this was very unusual. Turns out in New Jersey and Oregon it is illiegal to pump your own gas! I had no idea. You learn something new everyday.
On Long Island there is a park called Eisenhower Park. It is very nice and it has a memorial to 9-11 in it so I hung out there for a bit today since I got to New York earlier then expected (due to Philly being anti-bikes.) The reason I headed out to Long Island in the first place is because I am staying with my Uncles cousin and his wife tonight. Even though the first half of the day was not great, they have made the last part absolutely wonderful!! They welcomed me in, fed me, entertained me, and made me feel right at home. They have been more accomodating then I ever could have imagined. It is such a blessing to have a great family that is willing to support you!

1 comment:

  1. Well my first comment is What are you doing taking pictures while driving????

    The photos are really nice though. And it's amazing how much you are seeing and doing. This is a way that I would like to travel. But you know Dad and his whole attitude about bring a cup we're not stopping for anything. Can't wait to do this in Maine with you in October.

    PS Drive SAFE!

    ReplyDelete