Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Florida, Maine, and Beyond

For all my avid readers who usually read the blog on Tuesdays. Sorry, I procrastinated with this one. :)
Well, last weekend I flew to Flordia for a wedding. Two of my classmates from PT school were getting married and it was so wonderful to see all my friends again! It was like a mini six month class reunion. It's really interesting to see all of us, not as students anymore, but as professionals. Not that all of us act professional. ;) (You know who you are.)


The next night I had dinner with some friends and family. I am always happy to see everyone and missed you all so much. It was really sad that due to some unexpected delays at the airport my stay in FL was cut short. However, I did learn some interesting things about the airport while spending the night there. For example, I thought there would be planes landing and taking off all thoughout the night, but actually it is dead from about 1am to 5am. That does not mean that you will get any sleep, though, because people are vacuuming, TVs are on everywhere that cannot be turned off, and a recording about not leaving your baggage unattended repeats every 15 minutes through the ENTIRE night. Can we say annoying?

After this lovely weekend of seeing people I love, my mom and I flew back to Maine together and we went on a whirlwind vacation through Maine, Prince Edward Island, and Nova Scotia. 
Monday we drove from Portland to Camden to Bucksport and finally to Orient Maine. Sue offered to let us stay at her cabin for that first night since she lives right near the Canadian border. So my mom got to see some of the places I have been hanging out during my time in Maine.





On Tuesday, we crossed into Canada and went to see the Hopewell Rocks, otherwise known as the Flowerpot Rocks. The park the rocks are located in is on the Bay of Fundy which, as I have mentioned before, has the highest tides in the world. The tides can be up to 30 feet high! Twice each day the water flows in around the rocks and then back out again eroding everything under 25-30 feet. The tops of the rocks, though, are not eroded as quickly and are, therefore, much bigger then the base. In fact, most of the rocks have trees still growing on them. It was really cool.
the view from above

thats my mom with the Captain Morgan stance


Of course, when you are walking around under the rocks there are some inherent dangers since you are technically walking on what will be the ocean floor in a few hours. The ground is, obviously, a little wet. Now, I, being the ever graceful person that I am, stepped onto what I thought was a large rock sticking out of the mud, but instead it was a small rock in a very deep mud puddle. And by "puddle" I don't mean the kind you go splashing around in your rain boots in... oh no, I mean a thick, squishy, dark brown puddle of mud that sticks to everything. It was a little messy.
That evening we ended our drive at a bed and breakfast on Prince Edward Island.
But tonight it is getting late, so I will have to write about PEI and the rest of the trip tomorrow. Don't miss the next installment of Florida, Maine, and Beyond... yond... yond...yond.

2 comments:

  1. I know how you feel about airport at night.... it is so hard to be there for the entire night with vacuum people, weird carpet smells, and the voice you want to kill by the morning!!

    miss you!!! kisses

    ReplyDelete