Monday, September 27, 2010

Baa Haabaa

This weekend Sue and I camped out on Mount Desert Island, the home of Bar Harbor. It was the first weekend that there has been rain and fog. It really limited the view, but it was kinda cool because it did make everything look very mysterious and and mystical.

We went to the top of Cadillac mountain first where you could see out over the whole town of Bar Harbor.
Then we went around the rest of the loop in Acadia National Park and saw Sand Beach, Thunder Hole, Jordan Pond, and the Bubbles (two mountains; North and South Bubble). At Jordan Pond there was a restaurant that is famous for their popovers. Popovers are "hollow rolls made from egg batter similar to that used in making Yorkshire pudding" (according to Wiki). :) They were good but I am not so sure they were worth $4 a piece. Afterwards, we climbed to the top of North Bubble Mountain (yes, right after we ate... maybe not the smartest idea, but totally worth it.) At the top there was a nice breeze blowing and a bird gliding on the wind over the Pond. So nice and peaceful.
Thunder hole: waves crashing into a cave under these rocks

view of the bubbles from Jordan Pond

atop north bubble looking over Jordan Pond
I am really having a hard time capturing the color of the leaves with my camera so I have started collecting and pressing leaves that I find so I can put them in my scrapbook. However, I think this tree, which I got a few leaves from, came out pretty well.

After looking all around the park we went around the other side of Mount Desert Island. This area is the more residential area of the island. We saw the Bass Harbor Lighthouse which you can get a picture of from an "easy to get to" location, but I chose to climb out on some precariously placed rocks to get a cooler looking shot of it!
There were also tons of cute harbors (of course, it is an island). I can never get enough of these scenes. One place in particular was my favorite. It was called Seal Cove and the road to get to it was not on our map so we had to go exploring a little. We got there just as the sun was setting and boy was it gorgeous!



On Sunday, we decided to just look around all the cute shops in town. There was a farmers market and an art festival going on. The shops are really cute just like any cool touristy town, but there was this one called suncatchers that I was overwhelmed by when I walked in. There were so many sparkley things! It was amazing. :) The prices of these glimmering decorations were outrageous mostly because this was the only place in the world you can purchase any of their products. They don't even sell online.



Finally, we went to Schoodic point which is one of Sue's favorite spots in all of Maine. It is about an hour away from Bar Harbor, yet it is still a part of Acadia National Park. There are no throngs of tourists in this spot, though. We almost had the whole place to ourselves. It would be the perfect place to read and listen to the waves if it had not been so windy. I was so cold I had to sit in the car after a while and warm up. I would recommend going there sometime in warm, calm weather and I promise you will enjoy your day.

2 comments:

  1. Wow I look at these pics and see scrapbook pages galore! This blog is such a cool way to keep memories. I looked back to your post "A Day of Sunshine", you can really see the difference the fog makes in the harbour shots. Wonder what our weather will be like? I love the lighthouse pic you got, that is postcard quality.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Monday-Wednesday are supposed to be nice but Thursday there is a 60% chance of rain in Maine. We'll see what it is doing in Nova Scotia.

    ReplyDelete