Monday, October 25, 2010

Last Weekend in Maine

Well, this is my last week in Maine. :(
I have been packing and trying to plan my trip down to TN. Another adventure in and of itself, but I will leave that for other posts...
The PT who will be replacing me began working last Monday. It has been a really good thing that we had this overlapped time so I could tell her about what I have been doing with each of the patients, and they could have some time to get to know her before I left. For me, one of the hardest things about leaving was going to be handing over the care of all my patients to a perfect stranger. The focus of this blog tends to be on what I do on the weekends, but actually, that is the smaller portion of what I have done in Maine. Most of the time I am at work. I didn't want all the time and energy that was put into getting to know each person and building a rapport with them to go down the drain. Now I don't have to worry.
The new PT is also a traveler from Maine just like Sue. She is very nice, and invited Sue and I to a concert on Saturday that she had tickets to. David Mallett was performing. He is a folk singer from Maine who is best known for "The Garden Song", and he was described as having the "quintessential Maine sound." This concert was put on by MPBN (the Maine Public Broadcasting Network), and it was being recorded live. We were on TV! :) (Bascially, just clapping.) I really enjoyed the concert, and now I have a David Mallett CD to add to my collection of things to pack.

On Sunday, Sue and I drove to New Hampshire to visit her son, his wife, and Sue's two little granddaughters. Angie, Sue's daughter-in-law, is an Occupational Therapist and she uses her training to run a day camp for kids called Nature's Stepping Stones. She teaches them how to play outside, grow their own food, build canoes, and all sorts of cool things. Yet, at the same time she is stimulating their sensory and vestibular systems, developing fine motor coordination, and improving cognitive function. She does all this right from home since they live on 12 acres of beautiful land. I was so excited when I heard about this idea! Maybe when I am done traveling I could do something like this. That would be right up my alley!!
On our way back to Maine, Sue and I stopped in at the "Maine Diner" which was featured on "Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives" on the Food Network. We both had the lobster pie. Supposedly, it has won all kinds of accolades, but we couldn't understand what the fuss was all about.

After that we drove into Kennebunkport to see Walker Point, where President Bush, the senior, vacations.
not a great pic, but it was starting to get dark
 It was in a really nice area. Downtown Kennebunkport was just like all the other cute downtown areas in Maine. There are so many of them. No matter where you go along the coast from Kennebunk to Bar Harbor you will find the most picturesque scenes of boats in the harbor, beautiful coastal homes, and a long line of the cutest tourist or antique shops.
It was a good last weekend.

3 comments:

  1. Ivy...."vestibular systems?" What does that mean?

    I can see the name of your daycare now "Ivy's Vestibular Yard Daycare...growing great big Vestibulars!"....or IVY*2.....on second thought....

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHA! Your vestibular system is what you use to balance. Its, basically, your inner ear. I love your idea for the name. I will have to keep that in mind. ;) (not sure if you would want "great big vestibulars" though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhhh I'm sad too:-( You've had such a wonderful experience in Maine. May God Bless all future adventures in such a marvelous way as He has thus far. Love you. Mom.

    ReplyDelete