Sunday, October 31, 2010

Top 10 "Interesting" Things About Maine

I really wanted to post this my last day in Maine, but I had no time with packing and going out to dinner with Sue, Judy (the new PT replacing me), and Mike (the traveling speech therapist) and his family. So here we go. My closing thoughts. It has definitely been "interesting..."


10.  I never encountered these road signs on my license test!
 

9. When I scan through the radio stations instead of hearing a bunch of Spanish stations I hear French.

8. This is the only place I have ever seen a sign in front of an ice cream shop that reads,
"Milkshakes!
Ice Cream!
Clams!
Scallops!"
Why would you want those two products sold together?

7. I love that on my ten mile drive to work I pass through 4 "towns" but only 1 stoplight.

6.The scenery changes so drastically with the seasons. Before the corn harvest you see corn fields everywhere!

and after the harvest all the roads look like this.
 
Then when the leaves start falling off trees you all of a sudden can see houses, lakes, and, of course, graveyards that you couldn't see before.

5. Common roadkill: skunks, porcupines, and turkey.

4. Your last name can also be your street address. I guess you deserve it if you built your own road when you moved in.

3. When I first arrived I saw all these signs that advertised "cukes." I had no idea what that was. Turns out it is their nickname for cucumbers. 

2. It is interesting when you don't have to decorate for Halloween because of the preexisting graveyard next door to your house.
1. Jeff Foxworthy has this whole line of  "you might be a red neck if..." jokes. One of them is "You might be a red neck if you ever cut your grass and found a car." 
Well, what does that make you if you find a car, and four school buses? 
This is actually the yard in front of a house that I passed by everyday on my way to work. I loved this house it had so much character. And it's Green!!!
I made it to Ohio tonight to visit with my grandmother. I will post the first couple days of my travels tomorrow. It has been fun! Hope everyone had a Happy Halloween!!

No comments:

Post a Comment