Monday, September 13, 2010

"A Day of Sunshine"

Well, I really can't say it enough... Maine is beautiful. When it rains it's always during the week and by the weekend it clears right up. On Friday, I bought a really nice, brand new, North Face, two person tent from someone on Craigslist for less then half the original price. Sweet! I also bought a sleeping bag from the store. It said that it was made for "cool weather" which meant 30-50 degrees. Who labels these things? "Cool"... 30 degrees is freezing... literally. Anyway, its a good thing I did by the thicker sleeping bag cause it got down to about 40 degrees at Bradbury Mountain State Park, where I stayed Friday and Saturday night. The park was great with lots of trails to hike and pretty views from the top of the mountain.
 Saturday, I drove into Portland and looked around the "Old Port" area which had all kinds of quaint shops and museums. BUT, the best thing was the Portland Head Lighthouse! It was a beautiful, crisp, cool day with a breeze coming off the water that was to die for. There were paths that meandered along the rocky coast with the lighthouse in view. And, come to find out, one of my favorite poets, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, would come to this exact spot to write, and it is believed he wrote his poem "The Lighthouse" based on the Portland Head Light.

O gift of God! O perfect day:
Whereon shall no man work, but play;
Whereon it is enough for me,
Not to be doing, but to be!

Through every fibre of my brain,
Through every nerve, through every vein,
I feel the electric thrill, the touch
Of life, that seems almost too much. 

"A Day of Sunshine" by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow




On Sunday, I drove to Booth Bay Harbor and visited a couple historic sites. It was nice to relax and read sitting on a bench overlooking the water with the lobster boats coming a going.

During my travels I found the perfect house! It was at the very tip of Booth Bay Harbor on Grandview Ave. What a view it was too. And its only listed for one and a half million dollars... not too bad. ;)
other pics from the drive:

1 comment:

  1. Very nice. Did you see any B&B to stay at? You know I'm going to want to eat some lobster when I get there.

    ReplyDelete