Monday, August 16, 2010

Weekend at Lake Moxie

This weekend Sue's sister and her husband were having a little gathering at their lake house for a group they are members of called "MOAC" or Maine Outdoor Adventure Club. Their group does all sorts of cool stuff like hiking, mountain biking, and kayaking. Sue and I met them out there on Saturday morning. Soon after we met everyone we were headed out to hike Mosquito Mountain. (Thank goodness there were not any mosquitoes.) This hike was not at all like anything I had ever done before. It was basically 60 minutes of up-hill climbing all the way. No gentle, sloping switchbacks to be found on this mountain. It was really cool to see the change of scenery as I ascended.


















At first it was normal forest and a well worn rocky trail. Then, it turned into heavy woods full of Balsam Firs (which are Christmas trees). The aroma going through this part of the trail was amazing! I think Christmas tree scent is my favorite scent in the whole world. However, while soaking in the wonderful fragrance I realized that up ahead of me was a rocky part of the climb. The last few hundred feet of the climb was over these huge boulders. The problem with these boulders was not so much in the climbing over them, but in the fact that there can be no well worn trail over rocks. I had to follow these little orange and red ribbons that were tied to tree branches every once in a while. How to get from one ribbon to the next...well, that was up to me.
 Once I got to the top the 360 degrees view were well worth the trek up there.

















Afterward, I decided to go kayaking in Moxie Lake. I have never been kayaking alone before, and it's probably not the safest thing to do, but it was a really nice day and the water was calm. (Isn't that how all the "nature-gone-bad" stories start? ;) Oh well, I was okay.) I saw some Loons out on the water. It was really difficult to get a good look at those little buggers, though, cause they dive under the water and don't come up till they are well away from the boat. They can swim pretty darn far! I paddled out and around a little island about a 1/2 mile away and just enjoyed the sounds of nature and the water.




Later, a few people wanted to go for a bike ride on an old logging road where you can pick blackberries and raspberries. They invited me along. The first 3/4 of a mile was all up hill and it kicked my butt. These guys who are twice my age were crusin right along and I am dying trying to make it to the top. So after that humiliation... I mean "experience" (as they would call it) the fun part happened! Downhill! It was exhilarating, and sometimes terrifying, flying down this dirt road, avoiding big rocks and pot holes. About half way down we stopped at this hidden trail that leads to a waterfall and spring. The water was so cold! It was like giving my feet an ice bath which was probably good after the hike that morning. We finished the downhill ride and went back to camp for dinner and a fire. It was great getting to meet and talk to all these different people who are really fun and have lots of stories to tell and advice to give.

   The following morning Sue and I walked a little nature trail to Moxie Falls before heading home. Another fun filled weekend in Maine. What can I say? It can't get much better than this.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like your going to need a physical therapst, by the time your done up there.
    Isn't a tri-athalon is generally something you train for? How do you feel today?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, I feel fine. I think it's the Maine air... it automatically makes you fit ;) j/k I was a little sore but not too bad.

    ReplyDelete