Friday, August 13, 2010

Lobster and Meteors

End of another work week. I now have a few more patients my schedule so I am staying pretty busy throughout the day. I had one major success today when one of my patients who really dislikes me (since I work on her leg that is very painful almost every time she sees me) actually smiled at me. You have to know a little about the type of place I work to really understand this story. Basically, I work in something similar to a nursing home, except the patients I work with are not going to stay permanently. Anyway, the point is I see the same patients everyday so they really get to know you, even though most of the older patients are dealing with cognitive deficits such as memory loss and confusion.
So back to the story…It’s a little funny because usually when this patient sees me coming she closes her eyes and pretends like she is sleeping and will not wake up for me no matter what I do. Recently, I have decided to put off working on her leg and try to rebuild a good relationship with her so that we can actually be productive during our therapy sessions. So today, after bingo, I went into the activity room and talked with her about the prizes she won. They were little stuffed animals, and one of them could be turned inside out to reveal a different animal. One way it was a cat and the other way, a bunny. Well! When I showed her this you would have thought she won the lottery. She was so tickled. She smiled so big at me and was willing to talk with me for a while and even did some therapy with me (but no leg stuff…I was not going to push my luck.)
Yesterday, I had my first lobster roll. You cannot leave Maine without trying this dish so even though lobster is not one of my favorite things I broke down and tried it. It was pretty good. I am not about to make lobster one of the staples of my diet by any means, but now at least I can say I have had Maine lobster. (Don’t tell anybody, but I couldn’t really taste the difference between Maine lobster and Florida lobster. I am sure some people would disagree, but it’s just my opinion.)
When I got home last night I found out there was going to be a meteor shower. (Thanks for the heads up Dawner!) I turned all my lights off and sat out on my back porch in the 63 degree night. It was actually kinda creepy till my eyes adjusted, but once they did there was a spectacular show in the sky. About once every minute or so I saw a meteor streak across the sky. Most were small and quickly disappeared within a split second, but the others… well they must have been HUGE because as they would come shooting into the atmosphere it would light up really bright for a whole two or three seconds. Totally cool! I stayed up way too late looking at the sky and it was rough getting up this morning, but it was worth it. As I was sitting out there I realized how some people could want to be away from all civilization in these remote areas where you can really experience the awesomeness of nature. But don’t worry I am not about to turn into the guy from “Into the Wild." Although, I do want to go to Alaska... ;)
This weekend Sue has a trip planned for us to her sisters camp. There is a mountain she wants to hike called Mosquito Mountain. I hope it does not live up to its name. I am sure I will have stories and pics to post after this weekend. Can’t wait!
Here are some random pics from this week.
a dirt road I got lost on... but are you ever really lost with a GPS sitting beside you in the car?
There are TONs of cemeteries on the side of the road here that are not even near a church. I pass by three on my 15 min ride to work!

No comments:

Post a Comment