Friday, November 26, 2010

Tennessee Thanksgiving!


I am finally settled into my new place and I love it! I am living in a cute log cabin in a nice gated community that is a little bit off the beaten path.
The community was built during the housing boom and when that went under people stopped their building plans. There are only 4 houses out here and I have yet to pass another car on the road in the neighborhood. Needless to say it is quiet and super dark at night. Great for star gazing (if it weren't 20 degrees outside like tonight).
Tonight, as I was driving home (a 7 minute drive... sweet!) there was a beautiful sunset and I saw deer and cows grazing in the grass right on the side of the road in the neighborhood.




 It is so peaceful out here. Not much to do, but that's okay because the big town is only about a 30 minute drive so I have access to anything I want.

Side Note (totally off subject): I was a bit afraid I was not going to get to write this tonight because I had a scare with my computer. It overheated, turned off and would not turn back on. I was so grateful when I tried it again about an hour later and it worked. I don't know if it will last, but I am keeping my fingers crossed. Otherwise, I will be out of touch for a bit while I am in the market for a new laptop. I guess if it is going to happen this is a good time when all the stores are having after Thanksgiving sales. Thankfully, I was able to save all my pictures, docs, and music to an external hard drive so I am okay there. I figured I better get this written quick in case it dies again. :(

My parents, cousin and grandmother all met me here for Thanksgiving. I was trilled to have all of them here! Sunday, I drove down to Cleveland (near Chattanooga) where the Magee's live. They are friends who moved up here from my church in Deerfield. My parents and cousin met there too and we all went to a really nice restaurant and then to Rock City. Rock City was doing the "Enchantment of Lights" so we got to see the whole place all lit up for Christmas. The claim to fame for this attraction is that from the top of the mountain you can, supposedly, see 7 states: Georgia, Alabama, Tennessee, West Virginia, North and South Carolina, and Kentucky. Of course, we were there at night time so we could really only see lights, but it was pretty cool nonetheless.




Bruce Magee has been working on refurbishing old barns in the area. He showed us a couple of his projects. They were beautiful... these rustic barns with wood from trees that were probably around before Columbus and cool artifacts from the Civil war times. Unfortunately, I don't have pics of the barns except the one above. You will just have to use your imaginations. ;)

Once in Knoxville, we all stayed in my parents RV at a campground just down the road from my new place (very convenient). It was nice to just relax, watch movies, and play games with them, but we also got to do some sight seeing. We went to the Knoxville Zoo and to The Festival Of Trees.






On Thanksgiving day we went over to the Waston's house for dinner. (These are the same friends who hooked me up with the new place to live. I, also, know them from my church in Deerfield.) They were so generous to invite us over to join in their families celebration of the holiday.


Again, I find my self surrounded by wonderful people in a wonderful place. I love traveling!
I hope everyone had a blessed Thanksgiving. I am thankful for so many things, but especially for all of you!!!

1 comment:

  1. It was so nice to see you. I am so thankful for our RV and the ability to get up to TN to visit. It was a wonderful trip. Am sitting at Jim's now. Another thanksgiving dinner is being prepared and I'm looking forward to being able to participate in this one. Feeling a litte better. Love you and miss you already.

    ReplyDelete