Monday, July 25, 2016

I sure can pack a bunch into one weekend...

I mentioned in my last post that I might try to go somewhere a little further away this weekend, but I didn't. There is plenty to do right here to last me a while. So, this weekend I went to Cave of the Winds, Seven Falls, hiked the Red Rocks Canyon trail again (with an added section), and explored the little section of Colorado Springs called "Ivywild." On all the down time we had, Laura and I researched equipment for long distance hiking. We are looking into hiking the Colorado Trail in a year or so.

The caves and the falls were pretty touristy attractions, but still very entertaining.
-Caves were discovered in 1881 by two boys who were just out exploring.
-One man paid for the excavation of a newer portion of the caves with the stipulation that forever more the guides would have to mention his name when ever they brought a tour group through that section. (The guide did her job, but I honestly can't remember his name... hehe... serves him right.)

-Seven falls seems to me to be just one big fall with lots of ledges.
-The 224 step climb to the top kicked my butt! The way back down was scarier though... especially in the rain.


 



On Sunday morning I hiked a portion of the Red Rocks trail again, but met up with "Section 16" to finish the 5.3 mile hike with some new scenery this time. Didn't take any pics though... oops!
In Ivywild there is an old elementary school that shut down. Years later a brewing company took it over and turned it into a brewery/ restaurant. They left the school look inside with all the doors, the hallway and old water fountain. It is really fun to walk around the little gift shops and the food was amazing.



No comments:

Post a Comment