Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Finding Sasquatch

Just to make you a little jealous …I'm beginning to write this post as I sit looking out on to Crescent Lake in Olympic National Park. :)  But more on that later.
Last weekend Jess and I went over to Eastern Washington for a music festival called the "Sasquatch festival". This annual concert features all kinds of various artists; mostly rock bands. I can’t say I am very knowledgeable about that kinda stuff. I had only heard of one of the bands playing. However, the coolest part of the festival was not the music, but the venue. It was held at “The Gorge Amphitheater.”  The stage is set with the backdrop of the Columbia River Gorge! It was incredible! I learned that Mumford and Sons played there back in 2010… why wasn’t I there for that??!!


The music was not the only entertainment either. If there were ever a place for people watching this was it... there were some crazy people! It was very much a hippe, "woodstock wannabe" crowd. It kept Jess and I laughing all day. Of course, maybe the laughter was from all the second hand smoke... if you know what I mean.
Hint: Make this video full screen and take notice of the crazy dancing guy...

Side Note: Driving to the festival required us to go over “the pass” on I-90 which takes you over the Cascade Mountains. (The same place I got stuck on the way over here.)This was the first time I have been back there. It is actually really pretty and not scary at all when it is daytime and there is not 15 ft of snow.
The festival runs all weekend and people just camp on the grounds since it is literally in the middle of nowhere. We only had tickets for Saturday so we camped there that night, and headed out on Sunday. Since it was Memorial Day weekend we decided we couldn’t just go home so we ventured further north to Wenatachee State Park. We went for a little walk to the lake, which was gorgeous, and then built ourselves a campfire, cooked our dinner and roasted marshmallows. Camping is so nostalgic for me. I love the smell of campfires.  Except it doesn't come out of your hair for days no matter how much you wash it.




Now on to this weekend...
My friend and traveling buddy, Sue, who you all know from my Maine adventures, is doing an assignment here in WA right now too!! I am so excited I get to see her again so soon.  She is living in Port Townsend, a quaint, little town near Olympic National Park. It is also a US National Historic Landmark District. This weekend I went to visit her and see a bit of the area. 
Friday, when I got in we went out to dinner and walked around downtown. We did a lot of catching up. It was great!

My goal, on Saturday, was to see the Western most point of the US.
There are two places that claim the "Western most point" title... Cape Alava and Cape Flattery. They both are the same distance west at high tide, but Cape Alava has a slightly more dramatic tide change, so at low tide the land extends further west. Technically, giving it a stronger claim to the title.
However, Cape Flattery boasts the title of "Northwestern most point" with no competition and is on an Indian reservation and I was told there was an amazing Indian cultural center on the way to Cape Flattery by one of the park rangers at the visitors center in Olympic National Park.
So, after much indecision I decided to go to Cape Flattery and consider my goal met.

The drive out there took me on some winding roads, through Olympic National Forest, past Lake Crescent, through ghost towns, onto an Indian reservation, and out to the end of the world... or the country at least :) where my GPS no longer got signal. Not that I needed it since there was only one road and you just drove till it ended. Once the road ended I had to go by foot on a trail. If there was ever a place to spot Sasquach this was it. The trail led me through a forest full of creaking trees and right out to the edge of a cliff. There was a lookout area that was nice and surrounded by railing, but if you walked around the platform there was literally just a cliff. It was beautiful, but in a rugged, dangerous sort of way.




I think I found Sasquatch's home...

The only disappointment... the cultural center that was talked up by the park ranger... it stunk. Oh well. I did learn one interesting fact, though. The indians in that area were expert whale hunters and after they speared a whale one of the men had to jump in the water and sew the whales mouth shut so it would not sink while they were towing it to shore. How do you even do that?! I would not want that job.
Sunday, I took a nice leisurely drive the long way back to my house. Stopping on Whidbey Island along the way. There was a pretty lighthouse and some cute farms with amazing views of the mountains from their backyards. Not a bad place to be a farmer. Humm, maybe a second career? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment