Saturday, March 12, 2011

Last days in TN and beginning of the road trip.

My last days in TN were spent packing, hanging with a few friends one last time, doing lots of paper work at my job, and cooking for the trip. I spent last Saturday working since I had Monday off (from being in FL) so I could not go anywhere too far from home over the weekend. On Sunday, after church, I spent lunch with my good friends Melinda and Duane. (They are the ones who introduced me to the lady I lived with, who we had Thanksgiving with, and who I house sat for a couple of times.) Then, the rest of the day was spent packing all my non-essentials into my car.
Wednesday evening I went out to a gourmet cupcake place with Megan (WV trip) and Heather (my fellow PT at work). I had a Banana Nut bread cupcake with banana frosting. The cupcakes were great, but the company was better!
That's all I could eat! It was so sweet.
Friday was my last day at work and it was just like in Maine, very bittersweet. I was sad to have to say goodbye to some of my patients. Most of my patients were not cognitively aware enough to notice whether I was there or not, but the ones who did understand I tried to tell far in advance so they weren't shocked when the time came for me to leave. A couple cried and I was really touched by their emotion. For most of them this facility is like there home and since we see them everyday they become very attached to the staff. They all gave me the same advice... "Lock your car doors and be safe". I think its pretty good advice and I plan on following it. :) So on one hand I was sad to go, but on the other hand, of course, I am happy to get on the road again.

This morning, Saturday, I finished packing up the rest of my stuff into the car and got on the road at about 8:30am. It was hard to leave the woman I lived with this whole time. It was such a blessing that we were introduced. Her house was so close to my work, I had a nice room, full reign of the kitchen when ever I wanted it, and I was able to be a companion for her since she was living alone out in the middle of nowhere.

I know most of you have not seen my car fully packed so I thought I would take some pics this time so you could see how I manage.
My destination today was St Louis, MO. The ride here was interesting. First, not even an hour after I left, a deer ran out in front of the car I was following. Unfortunately, the car hit it. It was one of the most disturbing things I have ever seen. I wont go into details. Thankfully, I had plenty of room to slow down and get over. It did not look like there was much damage to the car and all the people were okay.
That was my only real scare on the trip. I enjoyed the rest of the ride talking to my Mom (for like 2 whole hours!), and a couple friends. Along the route I made a very specific stop. I have been wanting a particular CD and I found a Target just outside of Nashville that carried it. I bought the CD "Sign No More" by Mumford and Sons thanks to a recommendation from my friend, Dawn, and let me tell you... I LOVE it. It is rare to find a album where I like every single song, but it is possible, obviously! This band has a rock/bluegrass sound that just works so well. It was the perfect music to listen to while going through Kentucky.  Kentucky had some of the prettiest scenery on the whole trip. I love the large rolling fields of bluegrass and the horse farms in that state.
This afternoon I made it to St Louis and have already had my first glimpse of the Arch while driving on the highway. I will go visit it tomorrow and then head west into Kansas City. These big cities always intimidate me so send up an extra prayer for me as I attempt navigate St. Louis.

No comments:

Post a Comment