Sunday, June 10, 2012

The End of this Amazing Adventure.

So our trip has come to an end. It is so sad. I would drive and sight see forever if I could!
Saturday, we had one more touristy stop to make. We went to Devils Tower in Wyoming. It is a really cool rock formation that has captivated the imaginations of people for generations. The Indians in this area had a legend that the columns on the side of the rock were created by a bear clawing his way up to the top. Supposedly, he was chasing some Indian maidens. It must have been a huge bear considering that the rock is 867 ft tall.

Before we hiked around the base of the tower we listened to a ranger give a presentation on rock climbing. He described all the equipment used and the differing levels of difficulty on this one rock surface. He said the fastest anyone has climbed to the top was a speedy 18 minutes. That is insane. The climber did not bother with all the safety equipment he just climbed. He was, of course, a professional. The guide said that typically someone could make it to the summit in 2-4 hours depending on skill level. As we were walking the trail we kept our eye out for climbers and we spotted a couple.
Climber in yellow. Click to enlarge.

Closer picture of climber.

Black arrow pointing to climber


Our time in WY was brief and we were quickly on our way to MONTANA. Our final destination. We took a smaller highway into the state (not I-90) because it was a more direct route to see my friend from PT school who lives just outside of Billings. This road was so remote that we didn't have cell signal for hours. Amazingly, we made it to my friends house without getting lost. Good thing too because we would have had no way of getting a hold of them to get directions. It was really nice to visit with Lu, his wife, Molly, and their kids. I have not seen them since we graduated from UF and we had a lot to catch up on. Thankfully, they don't live very far away so we will be getting together more I am sure! They already told me about a few things that I am really interested in doing while I am here, but you will just have to wait for the blog post to find out about them. :)
Finally, Dawn and I made it to Billings. We got most of my stuff moved into my apartment and drove around town a bit to get dinner and groceries. I am so lucky that Dawn was able to come out here with me. It is so much nicer to have someone with you when you are facing the unknown. Not to mention all the laughs! We laughed so hard on this trip that my abs would be sore the next day.

Today, Sunday, I had to drop Dawn off at the airport. It was so sad to see her go. Now, I am really on my own again. I think I was in denial up until now.
By the time you are reading this I will have started work at the Billings Clinic. Hopefully, all goes well. Wish me luck!

1 comment:

  1. All great posts sweetie!! So glad you arrived safe and sound and got to see so many sites! You must have really flown! Can't wait to hear about Billings, the job and your adventures in Montana, (also, your secret mission!)

    ReplyDelete